3.0 units of USC credit
Audition mp3 (see below)
Monday through Friday, 9:00am – 4:30pm
Special Dress Code
For field trips and performances, long pants/slacks or skirts, no jeans, dress shoes and dress shirt/blouse
Do you play the electric guitar? Are you ready to take it to the next level? This seminar is a condensed USC Thornton School of Music Contemporary Music Division guitar performance course that focuses on jazz, rock and classical repertoire, as well as sight-reading, theory, improvisation and technique. Our instructors are from the Studio/Jazz and The Popular Music Departments. The seminar includes classroom and ensemble/performance settings.
Electric guitar, 1/4 inch guitar cable, guitar tuner, guitar strap, picks, & extra sets of strings to be prepared for broken strings as well as a fresh set of strings for final performance.
Acoustic guitar, amplifiers are supplied for the classroom and performances, you can bring a very small amp for practice in your dorm room, guitar effects (if you have a small pedal board or specific distortion pedal etc. that you like, feel free to bring it) make sure you have extra cables to make your set up work.
- Multiple student performance opportunities (jazz, rock, singer/songwriter, classical)
- Clinic/master classes with the distinguished faculty from the USC Thornton School of Music Contemporary Music Division
- Field trips to world renowned performance venues in Los Angeles
Topics of Study
- Jazz, Rock, Pop, Classical, Blues
Each applicant must create an audition mp3. Performances can be either solo or in a group setting. The recording should be no longer than five minutes. It needs to include the following two items:
- The student’s version of the jazz standard “Autumn Leaves” by Joseph Kosma. The student should demonstrate his or her ability to play the melody, to accompany with chords and to improvise a solo.
- A selection of the applicant’s choice, in any style, that best demonstrates his or her playing abilities.
E-mail mp3 to: email@example.com
Include the applicant’s name in the mp3 filename.
“I feel that this program has been an insightful and enlightening opportunity for me to grow as a musician. Over the month, I learned not only theory, technique, and other skills, but even more so about dedication.”