Studio: Monday through Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm
Workshop: Monday through Thursday, 6:30pm – 8:00pm *
*workshop hours – subject to change
Special Dress Code
Considering a career in architecture? This course will introduce you to the processes involved in the creation and understanding of architecture. Under the guidance of USC School of Architecture faculty, you will learn how concepts such as order, circulation, light and structure affect the form, function and meaning of space.
This course is also offered as a 4-Week, credit course, which runs concurrently with the 2-Week, non-credit course.
- Take field trips to world-renowned architectural sites throughout Los Angeles
- Design projects supplemented by class lectures, drawing assignments, and group discussions
- Receive specific advice for creating a compelling portfolio for admission to college design programs
Topic of Study
Core architectural skills:
- Fundamentals of design and composition
- A vocabulary of basic ordering principles
- Three-dimensional spatial awareness and understanding
- Basic drawing (analog & digital)
- Basic model-making (analog & digital)
Due to the late schedule and the intense nature of this course, it is recommended that students choose the residential option for safety and to gain the most from the experience. The commuter option IS available, but not recommended. Students who choose to commute will be on campus for two meals (lunch and dinner), and should plan accordingly.
Read more about the Exploration of Architecture course and see more pictures on the USC School of Architecture website.
“The instructor gave me extremely valuable advice for my portfolio and led very stimulating lectures.”