Special Dress Code: Close-toed shoes for all field trips
Monday through Friday, 9:00am – 4:00pm
Spend four weeks in our state of the art media center. In this course, you will report and write stories about real people and issues in Los Angeles. You will explore online reporting and writing, blogging and multimedia news technology. You will gain an understanding of the challenges and opportunities for journalists in the digital world. You will be encouraged to experiment and bring to class your own technical skills and life perspective. Your thinking and analytical skills will expand.
- Explore how a digital first mentality and the live, 24/7 web upends traditional views about journalism
- Learn to navigate in the new era where Facebook surpasses the front page and evening newscasts as your main source of news
- Take reporting field trips around Los Angeles
- Practice what you learn and build your own portfolio of stories based on real issues and news
- Publish select stories on Facebook, Medium and USC Annenberg's news website
Topic of Study
- Interviewing, reporting and writing techniques
- Basic and advanced photography and video skills
- How to engage with your audience on social media
- Changing rules of journalism in the digital age
- Old and new story structures
The instructor was able to turn the classroom into a real working environment, I felt like I was part of a newsroom sitting at the table every day.
USC Summer Programs 2019 Student