Credit: 3.0 units of USC credit
Special Dress Code: None
Students are responsible for ordering and purchasing required student materials for each class.
We will share details mid-May.
Daily schedules will include morning and/or afternoon live class sessions (Pacific Time)
and will allow for independent and/or group work
Exploration of Architecture is an immersive 4-week program that engages high school students with architecture thinking and the design process. This program will challenge you to connect more deeply with the built world by providing opportunities to experience and create meaningful places through dynamic remote learning methods. You will imagine and draw, as well as discover, examine, and analyze architecturally impactful places and buildings. You will gain insights into the profession through talks, conversations, and interviews with leading architects and scholars. The goal of the program is to stimulate you to pursue further education as architects, designers, and scholars who are leaders in your community and beyond.
This dynamic program is remotely taught by USC Architecture faculty members and offers 3-units of college course credit.
This course is also offered as a 2-Week, non-credit course, which runs concurrently with the 4-Week, credit course.
- Virtual interviews with leading architects and scholars
- Virtual visits to architecturally and culturally significant places
- Close interaction with USC School of Architecture faculty members, practicing architects, and current USC students
- Specific guidance to create a compelling portfolio advantageous to the college admissions process
- Instruction to develop valuable drawing skills
- 3-units of college credit, applicable to USC and other universities nationwide
Topic of Study
Core architectural skills:
- Heightened three-dimensional spatial awareness and understanding
- Fundamentals of design and composition
- Improved vocabulary of basic ordering principles
- Fundamental sketching, drawing, and photography skills
- Broadened understanding of design methods and tools
Important Considerations for Success
This rigorous program is most suitable for students who are independent workers and highly self-motivated.
A successful summer will rely in part on a smooth remote-learning experience. This means that students must have access to a computer every day, a strong and consistent WIFI connection, and the ability to install a variety of architectural and design software on their computer.
Hardware, Software, and Materials
Students will be required to obtain drawing materials and software programs on their own (specific requirements will be made available to admitted students).
For More Information
Read more about the Exploration of Architecture course and see more pictures on the USC School of Architecture website.
The instructor gave me extremely valuable advice for my portfolio and led very stimulating lectures.
USC Summer Programs 2019 Student