Credit: 3.0 units of USC credit
Meets: Monday through Friday
Exploration of Architecture is an immersive 4-week program that engages high school students with architecture thinking and the design process. This program will challenge you to connect more deeply with the built world by providing opportunities to experience and create meaningful places through dynamic learning methods. You will imagine and draw, as well as discover, examine, and analyze architecturally impactful places and buildings. You will gain insights into the profession through talks, conversations, and interviews with leading architects and scholars. The goal of the program is to stimulate you to pursue further education as architects, designers, and scholars who are leaders in your community and beyond.
This dynamic program is conducted on campus and taught in-person by USC Architecture faculty members. It offers 3-units of college course credit.
This course is also offered as a 2-Week, online, non-credit course.
- Conversations with leading architects and scholars
- Specific guidance to create a compelling portfolio advantageous to the college admissions process
- Instruction to develop valuable drawing and modeling skills, both analog and digital
- Visits to architecturally and culturally significant places
- Close interaction with USC School of Architecture faculty members, practicing architects, and current USC students
- 3-units of college credit, applicable to USC and other universities nationwide
Topic of Study
Core architectural skills:
- Heightened three-dimensional spatial awareness and understanding
- Fundamentals of design and composition
- Improved vocabulary of basic ordering principles
- Fundamental sketching, drawing, and photography skills
- Fundamentals of digital software, both 2D and 3D
- Broadened understanding of design methods and tools
Important Considerations for Success
This rigorous program is most suitable for students who are independent workers and highly self-motivated.
Read more about the Exploration of Architecture course and see more pictures on the USC School of Architecture website.
There is a great opportunity to learn more about a major you might want to pursue and spend the rest of your life doing. This course has the ability to help you find your passion.
Thomas R., New York (Summer Programs 2020)