Credit: 3.0 units of USC credit
Prerequisites: Basic Computer Skills
Course Materials: A list of student materials required for each course,
as well as purchase options, will be provided by May 1st
Daily Schedule, Monday through Friday
|AM Session(s)||PM Session(s)|
|10:45 – 12:30 pm Pacific Daylight Time (PDT)||4:00 – 6:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time (PDT)|
Please note: In addition to assignments and independent work, all courses have a morning and afternoon live class session. For students
joining from overseas, faculty will provide recordings of certain classes that can be watched a-synchronously at a more convenient time.
Participation, attendance and expectations for the course will be provided by your instructor.
Have you always been interested in designing, modeling and texturing 3D video game or cinematic characters? Do you have a designers’ eye? Are you considering a career in 3D character design and 3D modeling? If you enjoy computers, design, excitement, and working on a group project, then come explore your ideas in our video game modeling and texturing design labs!
This course explores how significant innovations in the areas of video game development and design are revolutionizing the metrics and rubrics for character designers, concept artists, and 3D modelers in the 21st century. You will learn an overview of modern character design and modeling techniques while exploring the range of 3D technologies in use today. By the end of the class, you will gain hands-on experience creating your own character and building it!
- Learn from expert faculty in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering
- Get an overview of game character design and 3D modeling techniques for modern rapid prototyping and evolution of your character
- Participate in hands-on design projects that allow you to apply what you learn
- Create your own character and then build and texture it, ready for animation
Topic of Study
- Character design using both 2D concept designs and 3D modeling techniques
- What the design of the character communicates
- Character prototyping technologies, design logic and visual communication of character
- Methodologies of incorporating edge loops and modeling techniques for deformation
- Topologies for facial and body movement
- Development techniques unique to your character idea
- Concepting the character’s story and their world to evolve their design
Join our Summer Programs’ course faculty members and representatives of the USC Viterbi School of Engineering for an overview and highlights of the exciting summer engineering courses on Thursday, March 25, 2021 6:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time. Register here.